Welcome to The Secret Fibre Blog, where each post I will give a recipe (tested on unsuspecting family and friends), which is higher in fibre than its inspiration, and some accompanying info. The aim of this blog is to make higher fibre choices easier for people of all ages, especially young adults, by following my journey of experimentation with different ingredients and recipes. You can find out a little more about me and my motivations on the ‘About’ page.
Before I get into the nitty-gritty of recipe testing, I thought I would give some background info on what fibre is, why it’s useful for everyone and where you can find it. Enjoy my first ever attempt at infographic-making, and feel free to share!
What do you think? Is eating more fibre something you’ve ever thought about before?
Here are my references if you’re interested:
(1) Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council. Dietary Fibre: Nutrient Reference Values. Canberra: NHMRC; 2014. Available from: https://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/dietary-fibre
(2) Kaczmarczyk MM, Miller MJ, Freund GG. The health benefits of dietary fiber: Beyond the usual suspects of type 2 diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease and colon cancer. Metabolism. 2012: 1058-1066. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2012.01.017
(3) Anderson JW, Baird P, Davis RH, Ferreri S, Knudtson M, Koraym A, Waters V, Williams CL. Health beneﬁts of dietary ﬁber. Nutrition Reviews. 2009; 67(4): 188-205. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00189.x
(4) Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council. Summary: Recommendations to Reduce Chronic Disease Risk. Canberra: NHMRC; 2014. Available from: https://www.nrv.gov.au/chronic-disease/summary
(5) Australian Health Survey: Usual Nutrient Intakes, 2011-12. 2015. Belconnen (Australia): Australian Bureau of Statistics. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4364.0.55.008main+features12011-12
(6) Dietitians Association of Australia. Dietary fibre: key for a happy, healthy gut. Deakin: DAA; 2017. Available from: https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/nourishing-nutrients/dietary-fibre-a-key-ingredient-in-gut-happiness/
(7) Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council. Healthy eating for adults [Brochure]. Canberra: NHMRC; 2015. Available from: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55g_adult_brochure.pdf
(8) Byron A, Baghurst K, Cobiac L, Baghurst P, Magarey A. A modelling system to inform the revision of the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating. NHMRC; 2011. 623p. Available from: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55c_australian_dietary_guidelines_food_modelling_140121.pdf